These Gluten-free Vegan Healthy Banana Brownies are so decadent and deliciously dense and fudgy. As far as brownies go, these are by far my favorite. Every once in a while I need a little something sweet to satisfy my sweet tooth but I usually try to stay away from too many sweets. I made these brownies with natural sugars in mind as a healthier alternative to having a high-sugar treat. They turned out great! I would have never expected these to be refined sugar free.
Dress them up with icing to make for a delicious dessert. Or, without icing, these are packed with vitamins low in sugar enough to eat for breakfast on-the-go. Either way, they are super healthy and delicious. I made these with my cherry coconut whipped cream and were awesome!
Why make these healthy banana brownies?
Gluten-free often makes desserts dry and brittle but this version is a lot more moist than the standard gluten-free brownie recipe. Bananas are the key.
Other Delicious Vegan & Gluten-free Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Beetroot Cake Gluten-free
- Mini Gluten-free and Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake
- Tahini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
Tips for Making Healthy Banana Brownies
Choosing the right gluten-free flour for these brownies
In making brownies, you’ll want to have a fluffy yet moist cake texture. Some gluten-free flours will provide you with a more dense cake. Since we are looking for fluffy you’ll want to stay away from Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 or the Kinnikinnick flour. Good gluten-free flours for cake recipes such as brownies, would be Irresistible brand gluten-free flour and the Robin Hood brand.
Choosing the Right Bananas for this Gluten-free Brownie Recipe
When choosing your bananas for this recipe, just like banana bread, you’ll want to stick to an over ripened banana which has a few brown spots on it but watch out for any mold.
Making these Gluten-free & Vegan Healthy Banana Brownies
Making the Brownie Batter
Start by preheating the oven to 350˚F (170˚F). Line your tin with parchment paper and grease the sides. In a small bowl, use a fork or even better a potato masher to mush up your overripened banana to remove as much of the clumps as possible.
In the same bowl as the bananas, mix in the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. See image below.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix your dry ingredients (excluding chocolate chips). Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and put in your banana and the wet ingredients. Mix till well combined then stir in the chocolate chips.
Baking the Brownies
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle the cocoa nibs on top and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes or until warm to the touch and serve with vegan ice cream or chocolate syrup.
Healthy Banana Brownies
- 8×8" baking tin
- 1 cup Over-ripened Banana
- 1¼ cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Grapeseed oil
- 2 cups Gluten-free flour (all-purpose) Robin Hood or Irresistible Brands work best
- ¾ cup Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Vegan chocolate chips
Optional for garnish
- ¼ cup Cocoa nibs (for garnish)
- Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan Caramel
- Chocolate Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (170˚C) and line the tin with parchment paper then grease the sides.
- In a small bowl start by mushing your bananas with a potato masher until there are very little clumps. Mix in wet ingredients till well combined.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients except for chocolate chips until well combined. Create a well in the centre and mix till uniform and there are no more clumps.
- Pour the dough into the baking dish and garnish with cocoa nibs.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely before removing them from the baking dish.