These Ginger-Basil Watermelon Margaritas are a delicious and refreshing twist on the traditional Mexican cocktail. Perfect for a girls night, date night, BBQ night, you name it. The flavor is tangy, sweet and has just enough bite to make you want some more.
You know summer is here when the margaritas start flowing. Two of my favorite things about summer are margaritas and watermelons… and margaritas, so why not combine the two?
Last year, I had thoroughly enjoyed making purple basil mojitos and, admittedly, had gotten a little addicted to them, so I thought watermelon and basil could also potentially be another great combo. Oh gosh, oh mighty! Something about basil paired with the sweet flavors that just fit together making this . The tangy flavor is layered, complex and so delicious!
The ginger and basil balance out the sweetness of the watermelon. Ginger gives it a nice bite, and the basil balances out the sweetness. These Watermelon Margaritas make for a great summer cocktail for small gathering. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
A Delicious Mocktail too
Personally, I prefer to drink mocktails to cocktails. My body for some reason doesn’t process alcohol very well and I often get very sick when having alcoholic drinks. When I first made this, I made the non-alcoholic version of this. I love cocktails that are interesting enough to drink without alcohol, a virgin rum and coke is really just a coke. This was full of flavour, and without the alcohol, the flavours really do come out. So if you are looking for some nice non-alcoholic drinks, this works great too!
Ginger-Basil Watermelon Margaritas
- Margarita Glasses
- 1 1/2 cups Watermelon, cubed
- 1 Lime juiced
- 3 cups Ice crushed
- 1 tbsp Basil packed
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 6 oz White tequila
- 1 Watermelon wedge for garnish
- Start by pouring the sugar in a small plate and use one of the lime wedges for wetting the rims of the glasses. Once the glasses are well moistened, dip your glass into the sugar.
- In a blender, combine the watermelon, ginger, tequila and ice, and blend until smooth.
- Add lime juice and basil to a the glass and muddle the basil.
- Pour blended watermelon into a glass and garnish with watermelon wedges basil leaves. Cheers!
Other watermelon recipes that you’ll love: