Ditch your fork and knife, you’ll want to stuff your face full of these Vegan Zucchini Fritters. I decided to keep them chunky with zucchini, spinach and chickpeas and OMG they were so delicious! Add in some aromatic Indian spices and cucumber raita then you have a great a power combo that will keep you going throughout any workout or activity. Just wow! Needless to say, these little gems were just light yet filling and full of awesome.
I love zucchinis. However, I never really know what to do with them. It’s one of those vegetables that don’t get enough recognition. Whenever I eat zucchinis, I thoroughly enjoy them but I can’t say that there are many stand out dishes that I am passionate about that include them. By themselves, they tend to taste a little bland but with the right seasoning, they just absorb everything and it becomes magical. Cumin and zucchinis just go together like peanut butter and jelly.
They work great for breakfast, as a snack, a workout recovery, lunch or even dinner. These little fritters can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or you could even freeze them. I personally like to make a few batches of these and just freeze whatever I can’t stuff my face with. This way when you want to give yourself a break, you’re starved, and just having one of those days, pop a couple of them in the microwave for a few of minutes and voilà! Delicious, healthy Vegan Zucchini Fritters in only a few minutes. They really are quite convenient to have stored in the freezer and they don’t lose any of their taste if you freeze them immediately after prepping them. Just make sure you separate them with some parchment paper in between for some easy picking.
I would love to hear your comments or variations if you have tried these. Happy cooking!
Zucchini fritters with Vegan Cucumber Raita
- 2 cups zucchini gratedÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â½ cup onionÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 can (14oz or 398 ml) chickpeasÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â½ cup corn meal
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch salt and pepperÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â
Cucumber Raita (Indian Cucumber Salad) Ingredients
- 1 cup cucumber finely cubed
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1 clove of garlic , pressed
- Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â½ tsp cumin
- Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¼ tsp cayenne
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat add coconut oil, zucchini, onion, and garlic. SautÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â© for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, or until soft. Then, add spinach until wilted approximately 2-3 minutes. Strain then gently dry with a paper towel to remove any excess water.Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- To a large mixing bowl, add chickpeas and mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork until your chickpeas are uniform. Then, add your sautÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â©ed veggies, corn meal and seasoning. Roll up your sleeves and get in with your hands to produce a well-combined mixture. It should tacky yet mouldable mixture. Add more corn meal as needed.
- Form into 1-inch-thick by 4" in diameter patties.
- Over a medium high heat, add oil to the pan. Then, when it sizzles add in your fritters to without crowding. Fry until brown,Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â approx. 4 minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, add all your ingredients for the Cucumber Raita.Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- Top raita over your fritters and serve!