Hawaiian Vegan Tofu Tacos
I’ve been totally crushing over the sweet flavors from these Hawaiian Vegan Tofu Tacos. The spicy mango salsa paired with the teriyaki tofu and lime dressing is a magical combination that transports you to a tropical Hawaiian Luau.
These Hawaiian Tofu Tacos are:
- So healthy
- … and delicious!
When I was thinking up this recipe, I had a bunch of the leftover Maui Burger sauce sitting there in the fridge, so I figured that I would put it good use. I thought those making the Maui burger would probably be in the same position afterward and need to use up the rest of the sauce. So, if you’ve made the Maui burgers, you can reuse the sauce, or if you haven’t, there is an easier option below that requires fewer steps to make.
If you’ve ever bought corn tortillas and realized that they were horribly brittle and very inconvenient, well, it’s probably because they were either cold or not heated up properly. I had to find this out myself the hard way. A quick 30 secs on a dry pan on each side makes all the difference; a tastier and much less messy taco as well. I hope you enjoy these little Hawaiian Vegan Tofu Tacos as much as I did.
Hawaiian Vegan Tofu Tacos
- 1 block of tofu, cut into 1" slices
- Corn tortillas
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- coriander, for garnish
Maui Burger Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup Gluten-free Tamari sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic, grated (about 1-2 cloves)
- 1/2 in fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups mangos
- red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup coriander
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 lime, juiced with its rind
- If you are not using the leftover Maui burgers sauce, here's a simplified version. In a mixing bowl, combine the pineapple juice, Teriyaki sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Add in your tofu to the sauce. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix in all your ingredients for the mango salsa and refrigerate until it is time to serve. The flavour will continue to develop, and I would even say that the next day is even better!
- Next, prepare your lime dressing and refrigerate.
- Fry up your tofu to brown on both sides, approximately 5 minutes each side.
- In a dry pan, heat your tortillas 30 seconds on each side and cover with a towel until ready to serve.
- To assemble, take your tortilla and place your fried tofu in the center. Put a small amount of purple cabbage and then the mango salsa. Drizzle a little lime dressing and sprinkle some more coriander. Enjoy!