I have developed a bit of a love affair with these Vegan Cheesy Baked Potato & BBQ Beans. Best comfort food ever! They were so delicious! The beans, the cheese, I mean, wow! I made them cause I thought they would make for a hearty meal, but the taste floored me! The cheese was gooey, the beans were decadent, and the “bacon” bits and chives perfect this hearty tarty meal.
You know that bottle of BBQ sauce that you have lying around in the fridge? Well, I’ve got news for you. You’re going to love it all over again cause you’ll need it for this recipe! Myself, I bought an expensive BBQ sauce at the grocery store, thinking that it would be the bomb, and was sorely disappointed by its over powering flavor. I figured I would give it one last chance at redemption with these beans. Wowwwww! It was like a party in my mouth. I finally found what this BBQ sauce was made for!
Vegan cheeses at the grocery store are over-priced. A small portion can set you back 10-15$ depending on the quality. So needless to say, if you can make a quick version of cheese that tastes great, go for it! This cheese was simple, delicious, and even gave you that gooey cheesy taste that gives it that perfect yum factor. Just amazing!
This recipe might be a little overwhelming at first glance, but I promise you won’t regret it. The steps are pretty basic, and you’ll be rewarded with the yummiest Vegan Cheesy Baked Potato & BBQ Beans you’ve ever had. I thought that these would make for a great super bowl meal or even a Thanksgiving dinner idea. It is also a great meal to prep if you’re receiving non-vegans into your home because they are so delicious and filling. Whatever the situation, you’ll enjoy this.
Vegan Cheesy Baked Potato & BBQ Beans
- 4 Medium-sized russet potatoes
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups Cooked sweet potato (approx. 1 medium-sized)
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Tapioca starch
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp White miso paste
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
BBQ Black Beans Ingredients
- ½ cup Vegan BBQ sauce of choice
- 2 cups Black beans
- Bacon Bits
See Recipe Notes for link
- Position racks in middle and bottom thirds, then preheat your oven to 350F. Use a fork to poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spuds. Place potato directly onto the middle rack of the oven and position a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp, but the flesh beneath feels soft. Cut a slit through the spud down towards the middle without cutting all the way through and fluff up the flesh with a fork
- Add the sweet potatoes and remaining cheese ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat while constantly stirring until you have a thick stretchy consistency.
BBQ Black Beans
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add black beans and BBQ and simmer for 5 minutes while squishing with a fork some pieces.
- Put in a ¼ cup of your BBQ Bean into your baked potato. Top off with your cheese sauce, chives, and "bacon" bits. Serve & enjoy!