Vegan Chai Poached Pears with Orange Habanero Sauce
This spicy fall recipe is perfect for the changing weather. It is easily dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion. These Vegan Chai Poached Pears make for an amazing dinner party dessert, festive Christmas or Thanksgiving treat but it is also great the next day for a breakfast parfait or just as a snack as a if you pull back on the spicy honey toping and alternate the poached pears, granola and coconut yogurt. I haven’t tried the parfait option yet but think it would be a super delicious breakfast-on-the-go-option.
Working with this this vegan honey company called Bumble Bloom, I realized on how many applications that this product could have. Here, I have used it as a drizzle on top of the poached pears then spiced up with some habanero. This, in my opinion, truly makes these Vegan Chai Poached Pears is fancy yet versatile enough for any occasion.
Personally, I crave more spiciness during the changing seasons and this hits the mark right on. It fits right into the fall flavours of pumpkin spice. Fall is also the best season to buy pears, which puts them at their peak sweetness of the year.
Choosing your pears
When it comes to picking the pears for this delicious dessert, it’s important to pick them right. Bosc pears are the best for poaching because they hold their shape well being poached. If bosc are not available you can always use Anjou or Bartlett. You’ll want to make sure that when you are choosing your pears at their peak ripeness, therefore not too soft but not just enough give the the flesh. This will ensure that they don’t fall apart when poaching them and won’t be too bitter because they are under ripened.
Thanks to Emilie @the.ecotheory who collaborated on this one with me. The results were truly phenomenal!
Vegan Chai Poached Pears with Orange-Habanero Sauce
- 8 bags Chai tea
- 1¼ cups Brown sugar (divided)
- ½ cup Vegan honey Seel link below
- 8 Bosc pears, halved and seeds removed
- 2 Medium oranges and their rind
- 1 pinch Habanero flakes
- 3 Cloves
- 2 tsp Cinnamon (divided)
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt (divided)
- 1 cup Coconut yogurt
- 2 cups Rolled oat flakes
- 1 cup Walnuts (divided) Chopped
- 1 cup Pecans (divided) Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
Vegan Orange-Habanero Sauce
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, mix together ½ cup of the brown sugar, vegan honey, habanero flakes, juice and zest of an orange, cloves, ½ tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Once it starts to boil reduce to a very low simmer.
- After about 5-10 minutes, take off the heat. Allow honey to cool for at about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place ¾ cup of walnuts, ¾ cup pecans, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds until it finely ground.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet heated to medium-high. Add remaining walnuts and the oats, then toast stirring frequently for one minute. Add the ground nut mixture and mix until combined. Allow to toast until the sugar begins to melt. Stir in the vanilla and the honey. Remove from heat and allow to cool in the skillet, mixing a couple times as it cools.
- Take the Orange Habanero Honey drizzle off the heat. Allow vegan honey to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the pears in half length wise, then remove the seeds and core with a small spoon.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil. Add tea bags and let brew for 8 mins. Remove tea bags and discard. Add ¼ cup brown sugar and stir.
- Add pears to boiling tea/water, reduce heat and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Gently rotate pears with a spoon(pears will be soft – you don't want to puncture the skin) and continue to simmer another 15 minutes. For a stronger spice flavour, leave pears soaking for another 10-15 minutes with the heat off.
- Place a heaping spoonful of coconut yogurt in the hole of the pear. Top with granola and honey. Garnish with orange zest.
Breakfast Parfait Option
- Take a mason jar with a lid for something on-the-go or a tall glass. Chop pears and stir in some of the orange-honey drizzle to desired sweetness.
- Place ¼ cup of coconut yogurt then layer on 3 tbsp pears, top with 3 tbsp granola and repeat. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
This is such a beautiful dessert with such complex flavors. I love the hint of spice from the habanero flakes..brilliant idea!
It really is layered and complex but the spices and the sweetness work together soooo well
I love poached pears and this chai version looks amazing.
Its really yummy! A must try!
What a unique recipe! I’m putting this on my list for a new dessert to try, yum!
You definitely should try it soon. Pears are in season right now and they are just at their perfect sweetness. Great time to poach your pears 🙂
This looks and sounds so delicious. I have a boatload of peaches. So I’m going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Michele, I never thought of making them with peaches but im sure it would absolutely delicious too! Let me know how it goes!
Enjoyed this for breakfast this morning and started my day off right! Perfectly sweet with a kick; loved every bite of this unique dish!
Oh so glad you tried the breakfast parfait option. Glad you enjoyed them!