Smoky with maple undertones, this is hands down the best vegan Bacon Bits bits recipe. It’s delicious sprinkled over veggies, salads, and soups and ready in under 15 minutes for both versions– the recipe only requires a cookie sheet and/or a bowl. They also keep well in the fridge so you can keep these coconutty bites for over a month!
I love recipes like this; they are so versatile. You can add it to soups, salads, use it as an appetizer, in your veggie burgers, sandwiches. Crumble them up as a soup or salad topping, or you can leave them whole for a little crunch and flavor in your sandwich or veggie burger. Like Tony the Tiger says, “They’re great”! Add that yummy maple smokey flavor to any dish, and it will bring it up a notch! They are so delicious! This is the first time making this Vegan Bacon Bits recipe, and I can see what all the fuss is about. I thought they would end up being just little bits of flavored paprika flavored coconut slices, but they really are a smokey and delicious bacon substitute.
I originally tried this on my Apple Broccoli Salad, and it worked so well, I started thinking of all the potential applications. A few of my recipes that came to mind would be my Cauliflower Leek Soup, Apple Cheddar Broccoli Soup, and even Walnut & Portobello Mushroom Burgers. There are a lot more brewing on my list, but for now, these are my top. Stay tuned for more delicious “bacony” recipes to come.
I made 2 versions of this because I really wanted to try both. They both have pretty much the same flavouring but one is made with textured vegetable protein (TVP) and the other is with coconut. I found the coconut one went really well with as a salad topper and the TVP one went better for with Bake Potatoes and soups.
This can easily become one of my weekly go-to toppers. It is so easy to make, and it elevates your dish ver well. It only takes a minute to prepare and only 10 minutes in the oven. I would love to see any variations that you might have on this.
Coconut Vegan Bacon Bits Recipe
- 2 cups Coconut slivers
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 ½ tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all your ingredients and mix till well incorporated.
- Spread all of your coconut chips as flat and evenly as you can on your baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes on one side then stir then up and pop it back in for another 5 minutes until dry and crispy.
- Serve over soups, salads, burgers, or appetizers.
TVP Vegan Bacon Bits Recipe
- 2 Cups Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Grapeseed oil
- 3 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp Tamari sauce
- ½ tsp Liquid smoke
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix till well combined. Set aside for 5 minutes to let the wet ingredients absorb. Serve and Enjoy