All-Natural Pomegranate & Orange Grapefruit Gumdrops
Everyone loves a good gummy. The chewy texture and sweet taste is an easy sell for most adults and kids alike. I wanted to make this version as healthy and natural as possible while keeping true to the taste and texture of the gummies. However, it is hard to find good all-natural, vegan gummies recipes that reproduce the texture well as well as the original version. Store-bought gummies are packed with sugar and artificial flavorings and colorings and are not vegan. Gummies are usually made from a substance that is extracted from the marrow of the animal called gelatine. This is what gives it that nice chewy texture. So, to make this a vegan recipe, it is a little bit of a challenge. The best replacement that I found was agar agar. It reproduces really nicely the chewy nature and texture of the gelatine and is completely tasteless and has no calories.
Agar, as I’ve discovered, is an excellent ingredient for vegan and gluten-free cooking. It can also be a great replacement for eggs when baking. What’s more, is that agar agar is really easy to work with. It will peel right out of your pan after you’re done and makes for less cleaning and you have a little treat for yourself afterward. Everything is done in one pot. It’s also really easy to change up the flavors. The flavoring of the pomegranate and the grapefruit work really well together, and the rose/orange blossom water give it a nice natural aroma, but you can choose whatever fruit juice flavors you like. You can also pour them into molds to make them more fun for the kids.
- 200 ml orange juice (not from concentrate and no pulp)
- 200 ml grapefruit juice (no sugar added)
- 4 tbsp Maple syrupÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- 1 tbsp orange blossom waterÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 tbsp Agar powderÃƒâ€šÃ‚Â Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â
- 1/2 tbsp Agar flakes
- Pour your grapefruit and orange juice, agar powder, agar flakes, maple syrup, orange blossom, vanilla into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Bring your liquid to a fast boil on a high heat for 5 minutes and pour into a small 4×4 in mold that is lined with saran wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours then cut in 1 1/2 in squares. Before serving, roll in sugar of choice.
Rose-Pomegranate Gum Drops
- 2 Pomegranates, blended & strained, or 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- In another sauce pan, pour your pomegranate juice, rosewater, and bring to a boil.
- Repeat steps 2-4. Serve with a sprig of mint.