When I think of summer I think of daiquiris and popsicles so why not combine them into one. These Strawberry-Watermelon Pops are tangy, sweet and so refreshing! All the lovely daiquiri taste conveniently rolled up into a grab-and-go popsicle. These little chilly bites are succulently addictive. Once you bite into one you keep wanting more! First you’re hit with that creamy coconutty taste and then comes the zing from the strawberry-watermelon daiquiri. You will be brought to daiquiri heaven! Need I say more?
This whole summer has been one big, long heat wave to the point that the air conditioners are just not keeping up with the heat. So, what do you do? You can either jump into a pool (if you are lucky enough) or you can stock up on loads of popsicles like, we did. Watermelon and strawberries are amongst my favourite fruits and they go together so well. Last week, I made Ginger-Basil Watermelon Margaritas and they were so delicious and refreshing so I figured that this week I would make a version for popsicles!
Making Strawberry-Watermelon Pops
This was my first time making popsicles and I have to say that it was a bit of a learning experience by trial and error. Our first batch was quite natural without any added sugar, which tasted delicious but the texture was crystalized and just “unpopsicle” like. Just not too pleasant to bite into. Like any great recipe maker would, I read up on it and found out that the high sugar content lowers the freezing point and makes the texture a lot more tantalizing to bite into. Once I added a little maple syrup, this improved a lot. Sweetening the mixture avoids that unappetizing crystallization.
However, it was a bit of a tradeoff for me. I didn’t want too much added sweetner in my popsicles but still needed to improve the texture. I therefore kept it at 1/3 cup, but at this level I did find that they still had a little crystallization. If you really don’t like the texture and don’t mind having a little extra sugar, you could increase that to 1/2 cup. For this reason, I would suggest making them in batches so that you can adjust the level that you would like.
Strawberry-Watermelon Daiquiri Mocktail Pops
- popsicle moulds
- popsicle sticks
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 cups watermelon, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, roughly chopped, reserve 5-6 for presentation
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 1 can all-natural coconut milk
- Add all ingredients to the blender and pulse until you have a homogenous mixture.
- Let your mixture cool off in the fridge and pop your mould into the freezer for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice your strawberries and set aside.
- Take your mould out of the freezer and your mixture from the fridge and stick your strawberries to the sides of the mould. Then add your sticks and fill with your mixture.
- Freeze for a minimum of 6 hours depending on freezer.