Gluten-Free Walnut & Portobello Mushroom Vegan Burgers
Although I’m not a vegan, I do love vegan burgers. But the last time I had a Beyond Meat Burger, although it was delicious, I was sick most of the night. Not to bash on Beyond Meat because I do believe in what they are trying to do, but I have a very sensitive stomach to the point that artificial flavors, sugars, or gluten will cause me a severe stomach ache. So, when I have a vegan burger, first and foremost, I want it to be healthy, delicious, filling, and it’s also important for them to hold their shape when you bite into them. Nobody wants to bite into a soupy mess of a burger, which I have had before… not pleasant. These are all of that and beyond.
With these burgers, I also made a vegan lemon dill mayo, which was super delicious and added loads of zing to the burger. If you would like the recipe for that, you can click here.
These were quite easy to make since most of the work is done in the food processor. Start by adding your chopped onions to the frying pan at a medium-low heat with a little olive oil. Fry for about 5 minutes then add your mushrooms and continue frying for another 2-3 minutes. Once your onions and mushrooms are well cooked, transfer your mixture into the food processor with the walnuts, quinoa, lentils, and the vegan Worcestershire sauce. Make sure you taste the mixture before forming your patties if it tastes a little bland add more vegan Worcestershire sauce or salt. Blend until you have a relatively smooth paste — transfer mixture into the fridge for 15 minutes to let it stiffen up.
Preheat oven at 350F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with your favorite cooking oil. Start by shaping your mixture into 4-inches in diameter by 1-inch thick sized patties and brush on some olive oil on the top — Bake for 40 minutes in a regular oven or 30 minutes in a convection oven and turning them at the halfway point.
Portobello Mushroom Burgers With Lemony Dill Mayo
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup raw ground walnuts
- 1 tbsp 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- Salt to taste
- Start by adding the onions into a frying pan and sauté on medium-low until slightly translucent (about 5 minutes). Then add the mushrooms and continue for another 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from heat and place back into the food processor. Add lentil, quinoa, walnuts, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and process until you have a rough mash. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Allow mixture to cool in the fridge for 15 minutes and preheat your oven to 350F. Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Once your mixture is chilled, you are ready to start forming patties. Shape them into 4 inches wide by 1 in thick circular patties. Makes approximately four patties and place them on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with olive oil.
- Bake for a total of 40 minutes in a standard oven or 30 minutes in a convection oven and flipping around the halfway mark min.
- Top with vegan lemon dill mayo and serve on a gluten-free bun. Enjoy!