Vegan & Gluten-Free Cauliflower Breakfast Hash Browns
These Vegan & Gluten-Free Cauliflower Breakfast Hash Browns taste enough like potato hash browns that most kids eat them without noticing that they aren’t even potatoes. I’ve always loved my vegetables. However, my stepdaughter is another story. She is against the idea of eating any vegetables. So, finding ways to sneak in some veggies has become a bit of a necessity, and it becomes especially challenging when they are very adept at figuring out that there are vegetables, but she does love hash browns. They are also keto-friendly, vegan, low-carb, gluten-free and deliciously crispy too.
Hopefully, your kids will enjoy them too!
These were really easy to make. For this recipe, you’ll need a food processor and two baking sheets and a brush. If you don’t have two baking sheets, then you can always do them in batches.
Start by cutting your cauliflower and onion into 1 square inch cubes and pop them into the food processor. You’ll have to do two batches to get everything processed properly. Once processed, it should look something like this.
Empty everything into your bowl and incorporate all the ingredients except for the olive oil. Take out your baking sheet and cut a piece of parchment paper that is more or less the size of your baking sheet. Take a culinary brush and brush the surface of the parchment paper with olive oil.
You can now start shaping your patties. I used a little 4-inch circular mold, but you can easily make them with your hands, or if you want to be creative, you can also use fun shapes that your child will enjoy. In the oven, the patties lose a lot of their water and therefore shrink in size; that’s why when shaping your patties, it might seem to be a bit thick when you pop it in the oven, but they turn out to be perfect once they come out. At the 25 minute mark, turn your patties over and continue baking. If you are having a lot of difficulty flipping them over pop them in for another 5 minutes or so.
- 1 cauliflower head, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour, (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoon potato starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 400F. Put cauliflower and onion in food processor until you have a granular mixture (see image). Transfer mixture into a large bowl.
- In large bowl, add flour, potato starch or cornstarch, onion powder, salt, and stir until all the flour has been well incorporated.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
- Shape your patties into little balls and flatten them to make circles that are about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. (see image)
- Brush patties with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning after 25 min. If using a convection oven, reduce time to 30 minutes, turning at about 20.