Chai Poached Pears with Spicy Orange Habanero Sauce and Homemade Granola
This spicy fall recipe is perfect for the changing weather. It is easily dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion. It makes for an amazing dinner party dessert but it is also great the next day for a breakfast parfait or just as a snack as a if you pull back on the spicy honey toping and alternate the poached pears, granola and coconut yogurt. I haven’t tried the parfait option yet but think it would be a super delicious breakfast-on-the-go-option.
Although this version is not a truly vegan recipe due to the honey, it is easily veganized by replacing the habanero honey with maple syrup and habanero sauce.
Pears are now in season, which puts them at their peak sweetness of the year so you need to try this. Bosc pears are the best for poaching.
Thanks to Emilie @the.ecotheory who collaborated on this one with me. The results were truly phenomenal!
Chai Poached Pears with Spicy Orange-Habanero Sauce and Homemade Granola
- 8 bags of chai tea
- 1 ¼ Cups brown sugar (divided)
- 8 Bosc pears, halved and seeds removed
- 2 Medium oranges and their rind
- 3 Tbsp honey1 pinch of chili flakes
- 3 cloves ¼ tsp nutmeg 2 tsp cinnamon (divided)
- ½ tsp salt (divided)
- 8 cups coconut yogurt
- 2 cup rolled oat flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (divided)
- 1 cup of pecans (divided)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup vegan honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
Vegan Orange Habanero Honey Drizzle
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, mix together ½ cup of the brown sugar, vegan honey, chili flakes, juice and zest of an orange, clove, ½ tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Once it starts to boil reduce to a very low simmer.
- After about 5-10 minutes, take off the heat. Allow honey to cool for at about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place ¾ cup of walnuts, ¾ cup pecans, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt in a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds until it finely ground.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet heated to medium-high. Add remaining walnuts and the oats, then toast stirring frequently for one minute. Add the ground nut mixture and mix until combined. Allow to toast until the sugar begins to melt. Stir in the vanilla and the honey. Remove from heat and allow to cool in the skillet, mixing a couple times as it cools.
- Take the Orange Habanero Honey drizzle off the heat. Allow vegan honey to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the pears in half length wise, then remove the seeds and core with a small spoon.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil. Add tea bags and let brew for 8 mins. Remove tea bags and discard. Add ¼ cup brown sugar and stir.
- Add pears to boiling tea/water, reduce heat and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Gently rotate pears with a spoon(pears will be soft – you don’t want to puncture the skin) and continue to simmer another 15 minutes. For a stronger spice flavour, leave pears soaking for another 10-15 minutes with the heat off.
- Place a heaping spoonful of coconut yogurt in the hole of the pear. Top with granola and honey. Garnish with orange zest.
Breakfast Parfait Options
- Take a mason jar with a lid for something on-the-go or a tall glass. Chop pears and stir in some of the orange-honey drizzle to desired sweetness.
- Place 1/4 cup of coconut yogurt then layer on 3 tbsp pears, top with 3 tbsp granola and repeat. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.