Blueberry Love Tarts
What better way to express devotion to your significant other than with these little Blueberry Love Tarts? Every little bite will send love vibes straight to your valentine’s heart, located in their belly of course. So, if your beloved is like mine and their heart is positioned somewhere in between the esophagus and small intestine, then they are perfect for these Blueberry Love Tarts. They’re crispy on the outside and the filling is like a warm, sweet, blueberry hug. Seriously, they are like individually-sized portions of blueberry pies without the icing, or with it, they are more like elevated pop tarts. Either way they are a deliciously sweet treat that tells your love nugget that you are over the moon for them.
How do you express to your little love lamb you are happy go lucky for them? Is it through a gift? Or maybe you like to book a little getaway? Maybe it is through some kind of a romantic act? Some couples might think that valentine’s day is over-commercialized and try not to “buy-in” (har-har!). All of that will depend on your partner’s needs. Generally, we like to keep it more on the down-low but it is important to show to your sweetheart your appreciation and devotion towards them. Depending on what your partner’s love language is, this can vary widely. Personally, we’re more about little acts of kindness towards one another. My hubby loves it when I bake or cook something just for him cause apparently his heart is located somewhere in his stomach. Joking aside, it’s never an easy thing to come up with something for Valentine’s day especially if you are in a new relationship and with Covid lingering around, it leaves going out for dinner “off the table” (har-har). So, putting in this labor of love is a great alternative to saying that you are on cloud nine without breaking the bank. I hope you enjoy these and would love to hear your comments.
Happy Valentine’s day!
Gluten-Free & Vegan Blueberry Love Tarts
- 4 ½ -5" heart shaped cookie cutter – See notes for link
- Rolling Pin
- 2 cups Frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Lemon and rind
- 2 cups Gluten-free flour (I used bob's red mill 1 to1)
- 2 tbsp Tapioca starch
- 1 pinch Salt
- ⅔ cup Cold vegan butter (not margarine)
- ⅓ cup Cold water
- 2-3 tbsp Raw cane sugar
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- ¼ cup Vegan butter melted
- 1½ cups Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp leftover blueberry filling
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Put filling ingredients into a small saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer till mixture thickens about 10 minutes with cover on. While filling is simmering, crush blueberries with a fork and stir occasionally.
- To prepare dough, mix flour, tapioca, salt in a large bowl, then cut in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until well combined.
- Slowly drizzle water mix with wooden spoon or knead with hands until it comes together. It should be moist enough to form into a ball, but not too sticky to knead. Add more flour if it gets too wet.
- On a clean, flat surface, sprinkle flour and spread evenly. Shape dough into a ball then use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until you reach about a ¼ in. thickness.
- Using a 4 ½ to 5 in. heart shaped mold, cut out your shapes and carefully transfer onto the cookie sheet with a knife. Roll out excess dough until you don’t have enough dough to make any more tarts. NOTE: make sure you have an even number. You should be able to make approx. 16 hearts for about 8 tarts but only place half of the hearts onto the cookie sheet.
- Place about 1 Tbsp of filling onto half of the hearts leaving a 1/4 in border to seal the edges. If you are making the icing filling, then make sure you leave at least a few tablespoons of the blueberry filling. Then use your finger to dot water around the edges so the two sides stick together. Top the squares with their matching halves and then seal lightly with a fork. Poke a few holes at the top to let air out so that they don’t explode in the oven.
- Make “egg wash” by melting vegan butter in microwave and combine with maple syrup. Brush on top of each then sprinkle with raw sugar, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Icing Instructions (optional)
- Let cool for a few minutes. Then, if you are making the icing topping, put leftover filling ingredients into the blender and blend till you have a relatively smooth mix. In a medium-sized bowl, add icing and slowly stir, a spoonful at a time, the blueberry mixture till you have a wet mixture but not a runny one. Dip your tarts in one-by-one. Enjoy!
Other Valentine’s Day Recipes
Nutritional Facts Without Icing