Apple “Cheddar” Broccoli Soup
I wanted to get a head start on the apple season with this yummy apple cheddar broccoli soup. Apple season is really big where I’m come from. We call it “Le temps des pommes” meaning “Time of the apples”. When I was young, it would be a bit of a tradition to go apple picking every year and come back home to with a bucket or two of these freshly picked apples. My mother would then scramble around trying to find recipes to make with all of these delicious apples before they would go bad. One of these recipes would be my mothers amazing Apple Crisp, which I posted last year for the blog. This year, I wanted to make something more on the savoury side because there are so many delicious savoury recipes but they tend to stay on the sidelines. These recipes complement the main ingredients with that a hint of apple. This recipes is no exception. It is deliciously cheesy with hints of apple, nutritious, and filling enough to keep you going throughout the day. Vegan or not, this is a must-try!
Being intolerant to cheese, there are a lot of things that I do miss about it because, let’s face it, you can do some pretty wonderful things with it. Apple cheddar broccoli soup being one of them. This veganized version gives you that nice creamy texture and cheesy taste you crave from the apple broccoli cheddar soup without having to go through that heaviness (and guilt) of digesting all that fat.
Do you want to keep yourself from grazing throughout the day? Well, this will keep you going. I only had a bowl of this for lunch, and I was quite full. The “cheddar” portion is made with cashews and sweet potatoes, which are both high in protein and excellent at keeping you going if you are planning on doing an afternoon activity or even if it is just to keep you going throughout the workday.
If you’re looking for an easy and yummy recipe to make within 30 minutes, this one is perfect. Overall, this was a great quick, and easy standalone lunch meal that required minimal timing and dishes.
APPLE “CHEDDAR” BROCCOLI SOUP
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup onion (1 medium)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup apple, chopped
- 4 cups Vegetable broth + 1 cup
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pour boiling water over cashews and set aside.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes and apple and stir fry for 3-4 min then cover with 1 cup of broth. Bring to a slow simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Pour strain out the vegetables and cashews and transfer to blender reserving some of the broth as liquid for blending. Add your nutritional yeast and blend till smooth.
- In your soup pot, add your broccoli florets and the rest of the soup broth and bring to a slow simmer. Cook till your desired tenderness (I prefer a little more crunchy and I simmered it in for about 10 minutes)
- Once the broccoli florets have been cooked to the desired tenderness, transfer in your “cheddar” and stir while keeping a slow simmer for 5 minutes. Add more water if the thickness is to dense or simmer a little longer if it is too watery.
- Serve with croutons or bread, chives and a drizzle of coconut milk for presentation. Enjoy!