Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Spice Donuts
These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Donuts are spicy, light and airy, super healthy, and are enjoyable with or without the icing. PSL season is in full force right now, and it seems to be everywhere. But most pumpkin spice products are full of artificial flavoring and mostly just sugar. I love pumpkin spice, but I really dislike the artificial flavourings that come with it.
Personally, I haven’t had a donut in years! I am on a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, and donuts are rarely an option for me. I was researching restaurants the other day and saw that they had gluten-free & vegan donuts available! I was psyched! Sadly, when I arrived, I was told those donuts were actually not gluten-free, nor were they vegan and were mislabelled on their website. Disappointed and needing to satisfy my craving, I decided to put matters into my own hands.
My first attempt at making them was actually a total flop. I turned a vegan donut recipe into gluten-free and unfortunately ended up too dry for a batter then added milk, and then the dough just wouldn’t cook right. What a mess! So, I made a few tweaks, and I’m proud to say that this version is awesome!
The key to Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Donuts is having the right balance of baking soda, baking powder, and apple cider vinegar. When you mix in the apple cider vinegar, you’ll see that there is a little chemistry reaction happening. This is what makes your donuts lite and fluffy. Depending on your gluten-free flour mix, your batter might be a little drier. Feel free to add more almond milk until you have more or less of the same consistency. For this recipe you will also need a Pumpkin Spice Blend of spices.
Upon researching online, I saw that people were using Ziplock bags as a piping tool and piping their batter into the molds. This was a lifesaver and worked so well. Simply put your Ziplock bag inside a glass and wrap the edges of the bag around the rim. Then spoon in your batter and close the bag. Cut off one of your corners and pipe away! If you feel your donuts are looking a little lumpy in the mold, gently shake and tap the mold until it flattens out.
Pop it in the oven for 18 minutes, then let cool. The cooling process is crucial if you want to put icing or else it will just melt and won’t look very nice. If you put them in the fridge before serving them, the icing will keep much better.
Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Donut mould
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Pumpkin spice
see link above
- ½ cup Coconut sugar
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup Olive oil
Pumpkin Spice Icing
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Almond milk (or plant-based milk of choice)
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in the milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and pumpkin puree. Stir until well combined.
- Using a Ziplock bag as a pipeline tool, pour in your batter into your pan. If the batter is looking a little uneven, you can carefully shake it to avoid having a bumpy donut.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the donuts comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Pour icing sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, and milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Once donuts have cooled, dip away! Refrigerate and enjoy!