Who ever said you couldn’t add a little spice to your brownies? This Vegan Pumpkin Brownies recipe is so moist, chocolatey and deliciously spiced complementing the chocolatey flavour . You’ll throw out your traditional brownie recipe for these healthy chocolate pumpkin brownies.
- What makes these the best Vegan Pumpkin Brownies?
- Substitutions for these Gluten-free Pumpkin Brownies
- Why make this Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies recipe?
- What makes these Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin brownies recipe Gluten-free & Vegan?
- Other Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- Making this Gluten-free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies Recipe
- Tips for Making Gluten-Free Pumpkin Brownies
- Variations on making these Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
Who would have thought that pumpkin and chocolate would work so well together? And what better way to use up any leftover pumpkin from Halloween or Thanksgiving. I got the idea from another blogger that had made a Pumpkin & chocolate cupcake. I was really curious to try it out.
What makes these the best Vegan Pumpkin Brownies?
These Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate brownies are moist, chocolaty, spicy with sweet earthy after tones of pumpkin. Absolutely decadent and yet so healthy and easy to make.
I had made these dairy free pumpkin brownies for first week at my new office and everyone absolutely loved them. As I was passing them about I realized that a good portion of the office was actually gluten-free and some were even vegan too! They were so impressed that I was able to make these to be able to cater to all restrictions. Even those who weren’t gluten-free and/or vegan couldn’t believe it!
Substitutions for these Gluten-free Pumpkin Brownies
Can I make these gluten-free pumpkin brownies with regular flour?
Yes, you absolutely can. Simply replace 1 to 1 the gluten-free flour for regular flour.
Can I make these dairy free pumpkin brownies with Almond Flour?
Almond flour works great with this recipe, simply replace the gluten-free flour with almond flour.
Can I make this vegan pumpkin brownies recipe with eggs?
You absolutely can. If you are not vegan or have not eliminated egg from your diet, you can add 3 eggs in the recipe. This will make them rise higher.
Why make this Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies recipe?
I used leftover pumpkin puree from my Pumpkin Spice and Oat Loaf and decided it would be the perfect opportunity to make for these healthy chocolate pumpkin brownies. The pumpkin spice goes so well with chocolate making these little pumpkin beauties so deliciously irresistible.
What makes these Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin brownies recipe Gluten-free & Vegan?
The traditional brownie recipe would require eggs to act as an emulsifier in order to the baking powder to do its magic and making them rise. Similar to apple purée, pumpkin acts as a great replacement for the egg, making these brownies completely vegan. I also made sure to use a good gluten-free flour that is appropriate for making these gluten-free pumpkin brownies. See my Tips for choosing gluten-free flours for this recipe.
Other Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice and Oat Loaf
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Pumpkin Donuts
- One Pot Creamy Pumpkin Curry
- Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
- Pumpkin Puree (unsweetened)
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- Grapeseed oil
- Gluten-free flour (all-purpose)
- Pumpkin spice
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Vegan chocolate chips
8×8 square baking tin
Making this Gluten-free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies Recipe
Making a Dairy free Pumpkin Brownies Batter
Start by preheating the oven to 350˚F (170˚F). Line your tin with parchment paper and grease the sides.
Mix in the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined. See image below.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix your dry ingredients with the pumpkin spice mix (excluding chocolate chips). Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and put in your wet ingredients. Mix till well combined then stir in the chocolate chips.
Baking the Brownies
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle the cocoa nibs on top and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes or until warm to the touch and serve with vegan ice cream or chocolate syrup.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Pumpkin Brownies
Choosing the right gluten-free flour
To get the perfect brownie, you’re looking for a fluffy yet moist texture. Some gluten-free flours will provide you with an overly dense cake. I’ve tried many flours for making cakes and doughs and I made a lot of mistakes in this learning process. When making brownies or cakes with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 or the Kinnikinnick flour, I found that the batter would rarely rise. The best results that I have had with cakes and brownies were with the Irresistible brand and the Robin Hood brand gluten-free flours.
Vegan brownies pumpkin puree
Don’t make the same mistake that I have done before. For making these vegan brownies with pumpkin puree, you’ll need to ensure that they are made with the just pumpkin puree and not the pie filling. Pie filling will already be pre-spiced and sweetened. Not what you want.
Storage for your dairy free pumpkin brownies
These will last in the fridge for up to 4 days in a sealed container.
Variations on making these GLuten-free Pumpkin Brownies
Healthy Banana Chocolate Brownies
I made these also as Healthy Banana Chocolate Brownies and they turned out phenomenal. This was the original post that I had made and enjoyed them so much I wanted to make a variation as vegan pumpkin brownies. I really enjoyed both a lot and if you’ve tried this one, I would highly suggest making this healthy banana chocolate brownie as well.
Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree unsweetened
- 1½ cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Grapeseed oil
- 2 cups Gluten-free flour all-purpose Robin Hood or Irresistible Brands work best
- 1⅓ tbsp Pumpkin spice see recipe link in notes (recipes makes exactly 1 ⅓ tbsp)
- ¾ cup Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Vegan chocolate chips
Optional for garnish
- ¼ cup Cocoa nibs for garnish
- Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan Caramel
- Chocolate Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (170˚C) and line the tin with parchment paper then grease the sides.
- Mix in wet ingredients till well combined.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients except for chocolate chips until well combined. Create a well in the centre and mix till uniform and there are no more clumps.
- Pour the dough into the baking dish and garnish with cocoa nibs.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely before removing them from the baking dish.