Cream & Nutella Stuffed Easter Eggs
These melt-in-your-mouth decadent gluten-free & vegan Cream & Nutella Stuffed Easter Eggs with a dark chocolate outer shell will make Easter that much more celebratory. The best part is that these little gourmet eggs are really simple to make. Each egg filling has only 4 ingredients. Make both or only one but they will blow your mind.
This was the first time making Easter eggs with my stepdaughter and it made for such a great afternoon activity. I was a little nervous at first not knowing how difficult or easy they were but I soon realized that they are really quite simple.
How to Make Cream & Nutella Stuffed Easter Eggs
The first step would be to start a double boiler. This is made by using a pot with a small amount of boiling water at the bottom and covered with a metal bowl. Once the water has started to boil, you’re ready to put in your chocolate. This will prevent your chocolate from seizing up. With a small spoon, cover the inside of your mold. It will most likely pool to the bottom so it would be wise to take what has pooled to the bottom and spread it to the sides. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In the meantime, you can start on your 2 fillings. Preheat your oven to 350˚F and fill a baking sheet with your hazelnuts and bake for 12-15 minutes. When done, let cool for 10 minutes then roll the hazelnuts around in your hand to remove the skins. There might be a few skins that are a little more stubborn than others but don’t worry as long as you get the bulk of them. After all the skins are removed, put the hazelnut in the blender with the melted chocolate and other Nutella ingredients. Blend till smooth.
In another bowl, with a fork whip your vegan butter and shortening together until well combined. Add your icing sugar one cup at a time while sifting and continue whipping until well combined. Once combined add in vanilla. Take ½ cup of the icing and in a small bowl combine with turmeric. Set aside.
Putting it all together
Once your shells have cooled then you are ready to start filling your shells. Start with the Nutella filling. Fill each shell to about 1/8 in. from the top. Do the same with the cream filling but dig out a small amount of the white cream and replace it with yellow cream. Refrigerate both for 1 hour. Once it has hardened, place 1 cup of chocolate chips on the double boil and melt chocolate. Once melted, fill the eggs up to the top and refrigerate for another 30 minutes. You can decorate with leftover chocolate drizzled on top and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts, and/or cocoa nibs.
Cream & Nutella Stuffed Easter Eggs
- Easter Egg Molds 2 x 8 @ 2 1/2 in. Shells (see link in notes)
- 2 cups Vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup Vegan butter softened
- ½ cup Vegan shortening
- 4 cups Icing sugar
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 cup Hazelnuts
- 1 cup Vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch Salt
- Take 1 cup of the chocolate chips and place under a double broiler. Put in a teaspoon of melted chocolate into your first egg shell mold and spread it evenly to the sides. It tends to pool to the bottom as the chocolate is cooling, go for another round of what has pooled to the bottom and spread it to the edges. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add hazelnuts to the baking sheet on a single layer and roast for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool then use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins.
- Add hazelnuts to a high-speed blender and blend till smooth intermittently scraping down sides. They result with look very liquidy but don't worry, these oils will harden once everything is cooled off.
- Heat the chocolate over a double boiler till melted mixing continuously with a spatula.
- Once your chocolate is well melted and the hazelnut butter has been liquified, add the vanilla and salt to your hazelnut mixture and blend well. Then add melted chocolate a little at a time and blend again until well incorporated. (See image.)
- Beat the shortening and butter with a fork until smooth then 1 cup at a time add the icing sugar.
- Take ½ cup of the icing sugar and put it in small bowl. Add ¼ tsp of turmeric and mix till well combined.
Putting it all Together
- Once your shells have cooled and are hard to the touch, spoon in your Nutella filling leaving about an 1/8 in from the edge. Do the same with the cream filling but leave a crevice for the yolk portion. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Put another cup of chocolate chips on the double boiler and melt the chocolate stirring constantly.
- Take your eggs and cover the filling portion with more chocolate. Refrigerate another 30 minutes.
- Decorate by drizzling over any excess melted chocolate and sprinkle either cocoa nibs or chopped hazelnuts.