This Gluten-Free and Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread Loaf is crammed with blueberries. In every bite, you get those yummy little explosions of baked blueberries goodness. It is also fluffy, chunky with fruit, healthy, and oh so yummy. You could easily have these for your on-the-go back-to-school breakfast or as a yummy dessert.
Everyone knows what to do when you have a bunch of over-ripened bananas. It’s time to make banana bread! As I watched these bananas go from yellow to black, I got so excited that all I could think about was that sweet banana bread. As much as I love banana bread, I did, however, want to put a little twist to it this time, and since I had a Costco-sized bag of blueberries that has been barely touched in 3 months, I figured I could make good use of it.
Which Bananas to use for this blueberry Banana Loaf?
I often get a craving for bananas over the week and decide to get a whole bunch, but I’m sure you can relate in some ways, since I’m the only one who eats bananas in this house they will often go brown before I get to finish the whole batch. The best thing to do in this case is to put them in a ziplock bag and freeze them. They freeze so well and so you are not rushed to make the banana bread. Just don’t wait until they have flies all over them and fungus starts to grow… this is the time to throw them out.
Ingredients for banana bread
- Vegan butter softened
- Cane sugar
- Over-ripened bananas
- Ground flaxseed
- Plant-based milk
- Vanilla extract
- Apple cider vinegar
- Rolled oats
- Gluten-free All-purpose flour
- Xanthan Gum
- Frozen Blueberries
9×13″ Loaf Tin
Making Blueberry Banana Loaf
Blueberry Banana Loaf is really easy to make. The time to prep this was quick; only about 10 minutes and most of that time is really just spent peeling your over-ripened bananas, so if you are a busy person, this is a great easy-bake recipe for you. Make sure you start by creaming your sugar. This step allows your sugar and butter to soften and combine better so that you do not have any leftover clumps of butter.
The next step would be to mash up your banana with the creamed sugar and butter. Again, make sure that you complete this step so that you are not left with clumps of bananas. Once you are done combining all your wet ingredients and your dry ingredients separately, slowly start to integrate the 2 together. While doing so, break up any clumps of flour that are forming. The next step would be to fold in your blueberries.
How Bake Banana Bread
Now that your batter is prepped, you’ll need to transfer everything into a 9×5″ loaf pan. I would highly recommend you grease your tin then line it with parchment paper. Make sure you leave tabs for easy lifting out of the tin. This will prevent any sticking and make it that much easier to clean afterward. At this point, you are ready to transfer your batter into the tin and sprinkle some extra oats on the top for decoration. Then simply bake them for 45-55 minutes and you’re done!
Blueberry Banana Bread Loaf
- 1 9×13 Loaf Tin
- 1/3 cup vegan butter softened
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 3 medium-sized over ripened bananas
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Flour All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 1/2 cup Frozen Blueberries
- Extra oats for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" x 5" pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper.
- Start by creaming your sugar and softened vegan butter with the back of a fork until it is well combined. Then, still using the back of a fork, mash in the bananas to the mix and combine the rest of the wet ingredients.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the dry ingredients except for the blueberries then stir to combine.
- Slowly fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ones but don't over mix. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and sprinkle a few blueberries with a small handful of oats over top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, let cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Enjoy!
Craving Bananas? Here are some more Great banana recipes.
- Healthy Banana Brownies (Vegan & Gluten-free)
- Banana-Cream Cupcakes
- Blueberry-Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Banana-Coconut Cream Pie
- Blueberry-Banana Smoothie Bowl