Vegan & Gluten-Free Apple Streusel Cake
This Apple Streusel Cake is like a decadent version of Apple Crisp but in a cake format. It just oozes of those delicious sugary spices when you first cut into it. I wouldn’t eat this every day because it is quite decadent, but once in a while for a special occasion with guests works nicely. With Canadian Thanksgiving just around the corner, it would make an excellent addition to a festive meal plan and impress your family or friends with your gluten-free and vegan baking skills.
I saw a version of this recipe online, which was neither vegan nor gluten-free, but it looked so delicious and beautiful I had to at least attempt to make it. When I build my recipes, I always find a version that I think I might enjoy, and then I either veganize it, make it gluten-free, or just change up a few ingredients. Me being me, I don’t play safe, and I did all three at once. Baking is a balanced chemical reaction that tastes delicious. You unbalance things, and you never know how the ingredients are going to react to one another. This time I was lucky; the results were impressive. It turned out to be a chewy, sweet, and decadent cake. You wouldn’t be able to tell that it is a gluten-free and vegan cake and that is no easy task.
Traditionally, this recipe is topped off with icing sugar, but me being me, I had to put in my magic touch. I had this recipe for a Vegan Salted Caramel that I thought would work perfectly as a drizzle. Caramel and apple go together like bread and butter, am I right? Don’t get me wrong; this recipe has enough sugar to power up a car, but this caramel is made with dates and is all-natural. It just adds that extra little finishing touch that makes this Apple Streusel Cake into a decadently indulgent dessert. The caramel takes very little time, and most of the time is really just spent on soaking and peeling the dates. After that, you only need to blend, and you’re done!
Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Streusel Cake
- Loaf Pan
Sugar Mixture Ingredients
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
Apple Mixture Ingredients
- 2 gala apples, diced
- ⅔ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Cardamon
- ¼ tsp Ginger
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ cup Walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ground flax
- 4 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp agar
- ½ cup Unsalted vegan butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup Granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup Gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ cup Vegan yogurt
- ½ cup Almond milk
- Line a 9×6-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix in your topping ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix in your apple filling ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix in your flax egg, then combine it to your granulated sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, cream softened vegan butter and granulated sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add vanilla, flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, yogurt, and almond milk and mix till well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly throughout the pan. Then, add half the apple mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with the rest of the batter, apples, and then top off with sugar mixture. Tap to let all the air bubbles come out.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and let it cool at least 15 minutes.
- Garnish with a drizzle of salted caramel (see recipe link below).